Holistic wellness and fitness form the foundation for this entire health and fitness site. In this blog post, I want to create a comprehensive resource that answers the questions I commonly get. My intention is for it to be a page that links out to all the holistic wellness and fitness questions you may have.
What is holistic wellness?
Most people have a good idea of what wellness is. However, they may be a little more unsure when the word ‘holistic’ is thrown in there. According to the Cambridge English dictionary, the word ‘holistic’ means
Dealing with or treating the whole of something or someone and not just a part
I trained as a personal trainer but early on in my career, I realized that I could help people more if I adopted a holistic wellness approach. For me, that means considering areas such as stress, sleep, mindset, eating habits, and relationships.
I realized that solely looking to help someone from the angle of fitness would not necessarily help them in the best way. For example, a person might be struggling to get results from their exercise sessions. Upon a deeper look into their lifestyle, I might discover that they’re not sleeping well. So it makes a lot more sense for me to point them in the direction they need to improve their sleep. That way areas like healthy eating and results from their fitness plan will fall into place more easily.
Holistic wellness is more than what a dictionary says…
For me, the term holistic wellness encompasses even more than the Cambridge English dictionary term. I like to assign my own added meaning to it. For me, it’s important that my health and fitness choices are respectful of the world around me. For example:
- Choosing a plant-based diet over a meat-centered one. Even if I think it would be beneficial to add meat into my diet, I choose not to for ethical and environmental reasons. Because it’s not all about me.
- Being mindful of my choices as a health and fitness consumer. For more on this see my post about Xero z trail sandals
You can read more about my holistic wellness philosophy here, or continue on to the holistic wellness q & a.
(This post includes affiliate links for which I may earn a commission at no extra cost to you should you make a purchase)
Holistic wellness starts with setting goals!
Goal setting is an important first step in your holistic wellness journey. Here are some of the questions that I commonly get asked on this topic, and links to the answers.
How do I set long-term fitness goals? What are examples of SMART goals for fitness? What are some medium-term fitness goals examples?
For the answers to all your fitness smart goals questions, please visit this article about long-term goals for fitness.
Are you ready to follow through on your goals? Achieving your goals is only 20% setting them, but 80% slaying. Here’s your FREE Printable 10-Step Guide to Slaying Your Goals.
Exercise is an important part of holistic wellness
As part of my holistic wellness philosophy, I encourage people to ‘think outside the gym’. This is especially so if they don’t enjoy the gym…because there are so many other options for a great (and enjoyable) workout.
With that in mind, I like to encourage anytime, anywhere workout routines. Here are a few of the questions you might have in that area (see the clickable text for your answers).
Where can I find a resistance band kit workout guide? Can you give me a Pilates resistance bands workout? What are some physical therapy shoulder exercises to do with resistance bands? Can you tell me some compound exercises I can do with resistance bands? What do resistance bands colors mean?
I answer all those questions in this resistance bands workout guide.
Other common questions include:
- What are the benefits of exercising outside and what are some outdoor fitness ideas?
- How do I learn how to squat?
- What should be included in a beginner’s workout plan?
- What are the main exercise adherence factors?
- Can you show me some good ideas for a playground workout?
- What are the best stretches for hip pain? What can I do for hip pain after sitting too long? What are some good stretches at your desk?
- What is the 80/20 fitness principle for exercise and nutrition?
- Can you help me get started with a postpartum exercise plan? What’s a good exercise plan for moms?
- Is post- natal yoga safe? When should I start doing it?
- What about pregnancy yoga? Should I be avoiding certain poses?
- Can you share some exercise guidelines for pregnancy and some pregnancy workout videos?
- What are some great motivational fitness quotes to help kick my butt into exercising?
- How can I incorporate gymnastics training into my workouts?
- What are some tips to work towards training for an ultra marathon?
- Why should I consider hiring an online fitness coach?
- How can I be successful in my at-home workout routine?
- How can I use a trigger point ball to prepare for and recover better from workouts?
- What are some great functional footwear choices that can help my body to move and function more effectively?
By the way, if you’re into workouts that you can do anytime, anywhere with no equipment, then make sure you grab my free bodyweight workout download. It includes seven exercises to help tone and strengthen your whole body and there are three progression levels for each exercise (so you can choose the one that’s right for you).
Healthy eating habits as part of your holistic wellness plan
Nutrition and eating habits can end up being the most controversial and confusing part of a holistic wellness outlook. I’m here to help you cut through all the ‘noise’ and find a personalized plan that is right for you.
Here are some of the nutrition questions you may have for me, and links to the answers on this site.
- What should I stock for a healthy food kitchen? What are some healthy pantry essentials?
- Can you share some ‘love your gut’ fermented food recipes?
- What’s the best healthy eating cookbook?
- Should I go on a low sugar diet?
- What are some healthy foods to eat daily?
- Can you share some simple tips for healthy eating habits?
- Can you tell me what the advantages of organic food are?
- What are food irradiation dangers? Is organic food irradiated?
The real ‘holistic’ part of holistic wellness
Holistic wellness is more than just exercise and nutrition. Stress, sleep, mindset, and relationships are all important areas to focus on for better physical and mental wellbeing. Get these right and you’ll slip into great exercise and nutrition habits a lot more easily.
Here are some of the common questions I get in these areas…and links to the answers.
- What are the different types of stress? What is the bad type of stress known as?
- What is diaphragmatic breathing? What are the benefits of diaphragmatic breathing?
- Can you tell me about the benefits of vitamin IV therapy?
- What are some workplace wellness ideas?
- Can you tell me how to have more energy? What are some tips for increasing energy naturally?
- Can you tell me how to get longer, deep sleep? What are some tips for deep sleep?
- Should I exercise when I’m tired and lack sleep?
- Have I got postpartum incontinence?
- What can I do about sabotaging relationships that are preventing me from achieving my goals?
- Can you share some good self-care tips?
- How can I learn to meditate?
- Where is the best place to shop for online health products, organic food products and natural supplements?
- What can an osteopath treat? What’s the difference between an osteopath and a chiropractor?
- Why see a naturopath?
- What are my options when it comes to virtual wellness?
Some people want to achieve weight loss as part of their holistic wellness plan
If you want to lose weight and you’re ready to move away from diets and fads, you’re in the right place. My holistic wellness philosophy helps you to move beyond dieting so you can treat your body with the respect that it deserves. Here are some of the common weight loss questions I get, and the links to the posts that answer them.
- What should the main focus of my weight management efforts be? What is holistic weight loss?
- What do I do if I’m desperate to lose weight but no willpower is in sight? (I really want to lose weight but I have no willpower?
- Can you tell me how to get your summer body?
- How do I achieve my long term weight loss goals? When does your body burn fat?
- Why is ‘knowing your why’ important for achieving weight loss goals?
- How are my thoughts and mindset related to my weight loss results?
What are your holistic wellness questions? Please add them to the box below and I’ll be sure to either answer them there or write a new post to answer them.
Disclaimer: This article contains affiliate links. This means that if you make a purchase after clicking on one of these recommended service provider links, like an insurance broker, or a travel agent, I may earn a commission – at no extra cost to you. [For my full disclosure, please see my DISCLAIMER page].